Saturday, November 14, 2009

She's gone

I had thought, in my young and dumb age, that if I just applied the bible to everything I ran into in a counseling session, everything would be alright. And although I still believe that I should certainly apply the Bible, I have a different perspective. Not everything will always be alright. Just recently: there was a couple who I went to high school with. I knew them both vaguely. After graduation, they got married and had a child, who is now one year old. About a month ago, the wife went missing. Just a few nights ago, not two minutes from where I live, the husband lead the police to where he buried her body. I ask myself: how could I counsel the mother of the girl who was killed? Sure I could refer to the Bible, but how can I tell her to forgive? Do you know what's sad? The other night, it took someone talking to me about it who isn't a Christian to make me realize that I wasn't being very Christ-like in my thoughts towards the husband. That was very humbling. I'm not saying counseling someone in such a position wouldn't be possible, it would just be more difficult. What if their daughter was older, in her teens? How in the world could I counsel a teenage girl whose mother was murdered by her father on her birthday? It would be hard. Incredibly hard.
Although I haven't gotten all the way through all my lessons, I've come to the realization that there are going to be hard cases. There are going to be times when perhaps, I am just not qualified.

No comments: